Friday 9 September 2011

Day 11,12, 13: Last post

I woke up Tuesday morning afte a pleasant nights sleep followed by a glorious breakfast in bed (thank you room service). Yesterday during the class, while paired up with the big injured black belt, he told me his shoulder was playing up, as it always does before it rains. Thats right, he told me his shoulder could predict the weather, and that it was going to rain, a lot. Thats right, a black belt with a physic wether predicting shoulder..... needless to say I ignored the magic shoulder. Well back to Tuesday morning and as I walked out the hotel in vest, shorts and flip flops I was reminded quickly of the shoulders premonition, and everything I thought I knew about shoulders was proved to be wrong. It was absolutely pouring down. I had four blocks to walk back to Renzos, in which time I managed to step in a half foot deep puddle and step out without my flip flop, which meant I had to spend some time fishing inside said puddle for my shoe. Anyway I got back to Renzos and found a physio I could see within the hour and headed down for the appointment.

So the prognosis is that ive pulled my hamstring and have a slight tear in my lateral meniscus. Its not bad, but apparently could get worse if I dont rest it long enough. The physio said to take 4-5 days of from anything with knee pivoting/rotating (errrrrr, have you SEEN BJJ?). Anyway I was left with the choice of either waiting here till I can train again, which would give me about two days of training before I fly back. Or coming home earlier so I could get some treatment on my leg (physio is very expensive out here) and finishing my camp back home in Mill Hill. It was a long hard decision to make but after conferring with my coaches I have decided to come back early. I will be flying back friday afternoon and back in the UK on saturday. Its a shame to leave such a high class academy, but I feel this is the best thing to do in preparation for the tournament.

This shall therefore be my final post. I understand and apologise that this is a slightly premature and anticlimactic end to this blog. However I can assure everyone that the injury has only affected training slightly and will make no difference come ADCC. I very much appreciate everyone who took the time out to read my daily (or not so daily) ramblings. And a thanks to all the people who have spoken to me and messaged me with words of advice, support and encouragement, it is very much appreciated.

I cannot wait to get on the mats in Nottingham and to see all of you there. And if you do see me, please do not hesitate to come and say hello (preferably after I fight lol). Thank you once again.

Ape Out.

3 comments:

  1. Mate, sucks that you injured yourself, but glad it is a workable injury and your ADCC trip is still all good.

    Personally, I would like to see the blog continue when you get back, and in your lead up to Abu Dhabi.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boohoo, but what an amazing experience despite the shorter than expected duration! I mean you were taught by The Man Danaher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I second Copland's comment.

    Speedy recovery and all the best.

    ReplyDelete