Thursday 25 August 2011

The Journey

Plane travel is in no way glamourous or exciting thus do not expect this post to exhitbit far different attributes. 

In the car on the way to the airport this morning it was pissing down with rain, which is somewhat a odd feeling, you are miserable because its raining, but elivated that you will be far gone from this within the next few hours while everyone else you know is stuck in this shitty weather for the forseeable future. 

I had a flight to Boston then over to JFK (New york). I get on the first flight and just before we take off it seems a miricle has happened and I have 3 seats all to me !! This was of course not the case, and when moved to my actual seat I was understandably upset as I was faced with the classic american flight scenario; a fat old lady sitting next to me, invading my personal space. I sit down, and it gets worse. O you want to play THAT game do you. And before the plane had even turned on its engines the arm rest war was on. Stupid lady. Needless to say, it was a short lived battle. With my greater understanding of leverage, coupled with me superior physical attributes topped off with my ruthless attacking style she was no match for me and i quickly took control of the arm rest. But I am not evil arm rest dictator. I was merciful in victory. Until about half way through the flight she asked me to moved my leg. Well, and friendly pardoning of elbows was long gone. For the rest of the flight I made sure to place my forearm across the entire length and breadth of the arm rest and keep it there for the remainder of the flight. Even when my body positioning made it uncomfortable, I still stuck with it. Thats called determination. 

Anyway, fun over. It was a pretty easy flight. I get off at Boston. Everyone seems to know about BJJ. Immigration asks what im doing here, I say training, he asks who, I say Gracie he knows BJJ. Very different from the UK. Anyway, I catch a short uneventful flight to New York and get out of the air port. 

Now Roger (Gracie) has sorted me out with staying at a room at Renzos gym (very cool). In his text he writes the room is "Not bed". And obvious typo, this could either mean what im hoping it means: That the room is "not bad". Or equally could mean: the room has "no bed". You just dont know with these things. But as I got in too late im staying with one of Rogers friends tonight and going to the gym tomorrow. Guess I will find out then. 

Anyway I intend to get to Rogers friend Zed in Queens by public transport. I get some crap directions and go looking, luckily I meet an extremely nice man who asks where im going and after seeing were heading in the same direction gets me to follow him. I sit next to him on the "air train" and to the train station where he helps me find my way. Coming from London this sort of kindness is odd and scares me. At first I took him help, some what confused, but then I just start to think hes crazy. Anyway, he takes me as far as one of the stations at which point I kind of work out his knowledge of the train system may not be as good as previously assumed and I assure him that I can take it from here and he leaves. 

So I go over to one of the station workers and they tell me what route I need in what im sure is some sort of alien language. I can understand numbers, I can understand letter. But put them together and I dont have a clue whats going on. I needed to find platform E take the red train to jamacia (yep!!) take the 4 to 23 then the 7 to manhatten. Then something else. So I pondered it for a sec, then jumped in a cab. 

I got here and waited outside for Zed to get back from dinner. I saw him a mile off. Short, stocky, brazilian, wearing shorts and havianas. Classic bjj. He let me in and made me feel more than welcome. Said although im only here for tonight im welcome here any time while im in NY. Its one of the things ive love about this sport. You meet a guy for the first time and within seconds you feel like youve been friends for years. Anyway off to Renzos tomorrow morning. Dont know what to expect but very excited. 

One last thing. Everyone keeps saying there a hurricane coming. I think they are being a tad over dramatic. But its true: I will be training tomorrow . Ape Out.  

(P.S excuse massive spelling errors. Am on Zeds computer and its set to portuguse)

1 comment: