Saturday 27 August 2011

Day 2: Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes your the nail.

So after a nice nights sleep in a real life bed I wake up pretty late again. 11 Oclock, and with the nogi class at 11.45 this gives me just enough time to have some edamame beans for breakfast a scope of Jack3d and head to the academy. As I step out of the building, and after all the talk of destruction yesterday, 250,000 people evacuated from parts of NY, people saying goodbye from training yesterday with “see you monday if were alive”, I expected to walk outside into something out of a post-apocalyptic movie. Buildings leveled, dead bodies decorating the streets, over turned cars and cows impaled on building tops. This was NOT the case. The only signs of “the biggest hurricane to hit NY” was some extremely light rain. I was massively let down, mainly because I was hoping that this “storm” would cool the weather down a bit. It was just as hot only much more humid! Horrible!


So I get to the gym. Apparently the nogi class on saturday is usually huge, 20-30 people. Today there was 7, apparently because of the “storm”. Mostly blue belts, one purple I think. And closer to my weight than the guys yesterday. After my beat down yesterday my instructor Nick Brooks commented “Sometimes your the hammer, sometimes the nail”. Truer words never spoken. Yesterday I was most certainly the nail, today I got to be the hammer. Its vitally important that you train both with guys who can fuck you up and guys that you fuck up. Imagine it like boxing, if your picking apart everyone with ease you never learn to take a punch and in a fight if you get hit your gonna react badly. And on the other side if your always getting knocked about, your never gonna learn how to knock out someone else. And bjj is no different. Normally you would hope that in every session you will have guys that you can mess up and guys messing you up. This was not the case, instead, yesterday I got beat up by everyone and today got to beat up everyone. I think I prefer it that way, one session as the hammer one as the nail. It allows you work on one thing in one session and another in the other. Anyway, to warm up we did some takedown entries and then got straight into sparring. Six five min rounds. It was once again insanely slippery. I didn't go insane in sparring, I rolled light and technically. Like most people who haven’t sparred with me before was often catching them in my slight twist on a guillotine.


It was a good sessions and after I spent a bit of extra time cooling down and stretching. I’ve realised that the most important thing for me on this trip is going to be recovery. The training is going to be great so no need to worry about it. All I need to do is make sure im able to carry on training, keep muscle soreness to a minimum and make sure i dont get injured. My knees felt sore today as they often do so I double up on my joint supplement. Anyway I stick around a bit and me and Roger mock the others for making such a big deal out of this little “storm”. Apparently its gonna hit tonight and tomorrow the worse and nothings gonna be open tomorrow so im strongly advised to stock up on food. The thought of being in all day without food terrifies me so I heed their advice and leave the academy in search of food.


Most places are closed so I walk around looking for open stores and eventually stock up from various different places. I get back to the apartment, we dont have the key but the owner has talked to the super and he has agreed to let me in when I need. All together my hurricane supply of food for today and tomorrow consists of:


  • 5 bottles of muscle milk.
  • 4 bowls of whole wheat pasta with grilled chicken and beef bolognese.
  • 3 portions of grilled chicken quesadillas.
  • 2 tubes of penuts
  • 1 pack of beef jerky
  • And a few bottles of water.


Im sure this shall last me fine.


Anyway I get into the apartment and im dripping with sweat just from walking around outside (thats how god damn humid it is!!!). I have a cold shower to cool down and reduce any swelling from training. Eat some food and now just chilling. I think were gonna watch the UFC tonight with Roger and some of the other guys from the gym. So that should be fun. Will be a good event and will be interesting to watch the UFC with some guys who could be fighting in it soon!


Tomorrow could be very uneventful with no training and nowhere open outside. So basically tomorrows entry could be VERY small.


Ape Out.



Needless to say, Renzos academy has some success at competitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment